Friday, June 29, 2012

HW TRAIL RIDE: SMD a.k.a. SUPER MEGA DUNK

Thursday seems to be the day to ride this summer. After many days of torrential rain, Thursday dawned bright and clear. It warmed up nicely during the day and promised to provide good tacky trail conditions. A perfect night for a shuttle drop on the south slopes. SMD it will be. SUPER MEGA DEATH is a relatively new trail that has really entertained us in the past, so our expectations were high.

The ride for the Holy Wow Gang starts with the climb up Malde Creek Road.  It seems that we are the only ones who believe in paying the gravity gods. All the other mountain bikers we saw (at least on this Thursday) were riding in trucks on the way up Malde. The traffic was pretty intense, but we did not see another rider on SMD. Good old Rossland trail system just has a way of eating them up.

Malde is alot of up and the trail head is up a little further still.  We knocked it off in short order. Now for the fun part. This trail is chock full of bermed corners and little booters that just encourage speed. Sections of the trail are like a video game with trees coming at you and the trail corkscrewing it's way through the forest. Then just for sport it throws in an obstacle to raise your adrenalin level. Just a real blast.

So, the Prez had warned me about one of these obstacles. He said, "watch out for this big deep puddle, it will grab you and slam dunk you". Now, with that warning I was expecting this large deep puddle, so I took little heed of a smallish looking puddle. Well that thing just reached out and grabbed my front wheel and slam dunked me into a one foot deep mud bog. I emerged soaking wet. My bike landed up side down stuck in the mud like I was about to change a flat. Good thing it was a warm evening because I was so wet that I left puddles behind when I stood still. One for you SMD. I heard that someone behind me experienced the same thing. Misery loves company.

The rest of the trail was a real blast. We corkscrewed our way down to King George Park. Such a cool ride.  Beers and BS after the ride were as good as ever. Thanks Thursday. Thanks SMD.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dad:)! Wanted to let you know that I'm giving you The Lovely Blog Award. Would love for you to stop by and check it out!

    mywholebrainteachingblog.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete